About College Development Council(CDC)
The College Development Council (CDC) has been established as per UGC norms, provisions of KSU act and statutes. It is effectively functioning right from the inception of Kuvempu University and is engaged in spearheading the cause of higher education in colleges coming under its jurisdiction. In the beginning, colleges coming under the three revenue districts, namely, Shivamogga, Chitradurga, and Chickmagalur were covered by the Kuvempu University and thereafter when Davanagere district came into existence, the jurisdiction of Kuvempu University spread over to four revenue districts areas. After the establishment of Davanagere University in the year 2007. The jurisdiction of Kuvempu University is confined only to Shivamogga and Chikmagalur districts. Presently, 99 colleges are offering graduate programs and 18 among them offering postgraduate programs. Out of the 99 colleges, three are constituent, one is under direct administration of the University and the remaining are affiliated colleges. Two colleges namely, Sahyadri Science College, Shivamogga and LB & SBS College, Sagar have attained the autonomous status.
TFrom among the colleges affiliated to the University, 17 are permanently affiliated, of which some have been recognized as the Colleges with Potential for Excellence (CPE).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The College Development Council is a vital link between the UGC, state education department, university, and colleges.
- It functions as a policy making body with regard to proper planning for integral development of colleges.
- Advises the University on all matters relating to development of affiliated colleges, such as availability of adequate infrastructure facilities (Academic and Physical), standard of learning, teaching and research, and periodic evaluations of the colleges.
- Keeps close contact with colleges with a view to helping them in their proper selection and approval of appointment of teachers, students amenities, proper utilization of grant and efficient implementation of UGC's approved projects and norms.
- Assesses the impact of UGC policies and grants sanctioned to colleges.
- Reviews the inspection report of colleges and suggest remedies for the deficiencies and irregularities reported.
OTHER FUNCTIONS OF CDC
- Granting affiliation to colleges.
- Granting autonomy to colleges.
- Recognition of College with Potential for Excellence (CPE).
- Encouraging colleges in their assessment and accreditation by NAAC.
- Approving the appointment of teachers & principals of private colleges.
- Collecting and maintaining statistics pertaining to colleges and courses.
- Assisting colleges in getting UGC grants and FIPs.
- Promoting vocational and job oriented courses in colleges.
- Assisting colleges in all academic, administrative and infrastructural development.