About Library in Kuvempu university
The University Library came into existence with the establishment of the Kuvempu University on June 29, 1987. Till then it was functioning as a Post-Graduate Centre Library under the control of University of Mysore and the library resources were housed in a temporary building at B.R.Project. In the year 1988, the library was shifted to the academic building on Jnana Sahyadri campus. Finally University library was shifted to its own newly constructed modular independent building in the year 2003. In the midst of its excellent setup of academic activities, the library acts as a nerve centre catering to the academic and research needs of the students, the researchers and the faculty members of post-graduate departments, covering Science,Social Science, and Humanities, engaged in higher pursuit of knowledge. Kuvempu University Library has been shaped as a centre of excellence, for academic and research pursuits by keeping itself open to the changes brought in by information and communication technologies. The library is actively participating and contributing for the success of UGC's INFLIBNET and INFONET activities, and availing the benefits of these programmes for the benifit of its users
This Library functions as an integral part of the university. The objectives of the University Library are
- To build up a comprehensive and upto date collection of books, reports, scientific journals and other non-book material in the disciplines taught and researched in the University.
- To organise the conventional and non conventional information sources in a systematic manner, in order to provide an efficient and prompt service to the clientele.
- To disseminate information by issuing documentation lists and other current awareness services for the benefit of teachers and researchers to keep them updated/abreast with the latest developments in their areas of interest.
- To provide other services such as compilation of current and retrospective bibliographies, procurement of photocopies, preprints, reprints and other reference services.
- To enter into an arena of Information Technology using computer applications for quick and speedy information storage and retrieval.
- To join the resource sharing activities of INFLIBNET of U.G.C.
- To extend help and co-operation to the college libraries, affiliated to Kuvempu University, in the process of modernisation of their library services.
- To serve as a nucleus of information in all the disciplines.
At the time of the establishment of the University in 1987, the library had a collection 15161 books. The collection of the library has grown up considerably cover literature of various aspects of science, social science and humanities. At present the library has a collection of 1,20,960 books, 224 periodicals, 6,165 back volumes of periodicals, 3,633 theses.
All the students, the researchers, the faculty members and the employees of the University are eligible for the membership of the Library. The registered members are issued Borrower's Ticket corresponding to their entitlement. Kuvempu University Library is initiated in issuing bar-coded library identity cards for all its members. The entitlement, in terms of the number of books that can be borrowed by the members, are as follows
|Category of Members||No. of Tickets issued|
|Non Teaching Staff||02|